Requirements for Entering Into a Marriage
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership, or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Where to Apply
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Required Documents When Applying for a Marriage License
- Proof of Identity by presenting your driver's license, passport, or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of Residency by One Applicant if an NJ Resident
- Your social security number
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The fee is $28, payable by cash or checks only.
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, a domestic partnership terminated or have had a marriage/civil union annulled, you must know the month, year, and county in which the event took place.
After You Apply
- There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
- The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
- Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.
- For individuals who are currently married in New Jersey or are married in another state or country, the option exists to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.
- To apply for a remarriage, the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the above guidelines to complete a license application. There is no 72-hour waiting period for this license to be issued.
- Woodbury requires an appointment to complete all marriage license applications. Appointments are Monday through Friday 9 am to 4 pm.
- For more information, you may contact Karen Chabot, Registrar at 856-845-1300, ext. 115