Vital Statistics

The Office of Vital Statistics contains all vital records (birth, marriage, death, civil union, or domestic partnership) that have taken place within the City of Woodbury dating back to the early 1870s.


Fee Change

On June 12, 2018, City Council adopted Ordinance 2284-18 changing the fees for all certified copies.

Beginning July 1, 2018 fees for certified copies will be as follows:

  • Marriage Certificates: $25 for the first copy, $5 for each additional copy
  • Birth Certificates: $25 for the first copy, $5 for each additional copy
  • Death Certificates: $25 for the first copy, $5 for each additional copy

If you have any questions regarding certified copies or vital records in general, please call 856-845-1300 and press 4 for the department listing then 1 for the Registrar of vital statistics.

Marriage / Civil Union Applications

All Marriage/Civil Union applications will be by appointment only. Appointments can be made from 9 am to 4 pm. Monday through Friday at Woodbury City Hall, 33 Delaware Street, Woodbury. To make an appointment, call 856-845-1300, ext. 115.

Certified Copy of Vital Record

You can obtain a copy either in person or by mail. No faxed requests will be accepted.

Download the REG-27, Application for Non-Genealogical Certification or Certified Copy of a Vital Record, Spanish and English (PDF).

Provide valid identification:

(a) Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address.


(b) Valid driver's license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address.


(c) Two alternate forms of ID showing your current, valid address, from the list below:

  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Card Voter Registration
  • Card U.S./Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Residence Card (Green Card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill or Bank Statement (within the last 90 days)
  • W-2 for the current or the previous tax year

If you are requesting a certification (an informational copy of a vital record not valid for legal purposes): you do not need to provide proof of relationship.

If you are looking for a certified copy: proof of relationship is required that establishes you are,

  1. The subject of the record;
  2. The subject's parent, legal guardian, or legal representative;
  3. The subject's spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner, child, grandchild, or sibling, if of legal age;
  4. A state or federal agency for official purposes; or
  5. Pursuant to a court order.

To Establish Proof of Relationship for

  • Your own birth certificate: your valid ID is acceptable. However, if you have assumed your spouse's or civil union partner's surname, provide a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.
  • Your child's birth certificate: if the name on your identification matches the name of the child's parent then your identification will establish your relationship. If your current name does not match the name as recorded on the birth certificate, as the parent you will need to supply a copy of your marriage or civil union or legal name change.
  • Your spouse's/civil union partner's birth record: provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.
  • Your parent's or sibling's vital record: provide a copy of your birth certificate with your parents' names.
  • Your grandparent's vital record: you must establish that you are the person's grandchild by linking the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example: if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want o grandparent's vital record, you must (1) Provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth, (2) provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and (3) provide the parent's birth certificate to identify the grandparent.

Looking for a Certified Copy of a Record

If you are looking for a certified copy of a record as,

  • An executor of an estate: you must supply proof of appointment as the executor.
  • The legal representative of the executor of an estate: you must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor.
  • The legal representative of an individual: that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record, must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.

Not a Person Qualified to Get a Certified Copy of a Record

If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but,

  • You are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive: you must (1) show your valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person's behalf; or, (2) you can supply a written release from the person you are helping along with a copy of that person's valid photo ID.
  • In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person: you must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy or a vital record.
  • Note: If you do not know the date or place in New Jersey where the event took place, contact the State Registrar's Office in Trenton, which has all records for the State of New Jersey by date and name. They can be reached at 866-649-8726.

Certified Copy Fees

All of the following are $25 for the first copy. All other copies are $5.

  • Birth Certificate
  • Death Certificate
  • Marriage/Civil Union Certificate
  • Domestic Partnership Certificate
  • Correction to birth, death, or marriage certificate

You may submit your application during regular business hours of the City of Woodbury, City Hall (33 Delaware Street, Woodbury, NJ 08096). You must pay in cash only. Complete the application in full and provide a photo ID with address (Driver's License), or, another form of photo ID plus one additional form of ID with address.