Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Where to apply:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of Identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of Residency by one applicant if a NJ resident
- Your social security number
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The fee is $28.00, payable by cash or check only.
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a marriage/civil union annulled, you must know the month, year, and county the event took place.
After you apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28.00 fee remitted.
Individuals who are currently married in New Jersey or are married in another state or country, the option exists to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.
To apply for a remarriage, the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the above guidelines to complete a license application. There is no 72 hour waiting period for this license to be issued.
Woodbury requires an appointment to complete all marriage license applications. Appointments are Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
For more information you may contact Karen Chabot, Registrar at 856-845-1300 ext.115